Friday, April 9, 2010

KFC: do not like; these new blogs, however...

One of my biggest frustrations from traveling to Shanghai and Ningbo was with KFC. I know how weird that sounds, and you have every right to question why I'd go to KFC -- seek it out, even -- when I'm in a region known for xiaolongbao and zongzi, both of which would make better meals and snacks. Anyway, long story short, let's just say the service was slow and unreliable, and SEVEN kuai for a crappy sundae when I can get a bigger, better one at McDonald's for five? Ridiculous.

Anyway, then I got home and read this from the Beijinger, and feel much better.

***

A few blogs to pass along: apparently Beijing Notebook, an award-winning China travel blog, is back in action; Round-the-World Barstool Blues, the writer of which is based in Beijing; and Froogville (these last two blogs both recently commented on the Gulou-demolition ordeal, so check that out if you're interested in the fate of that neighborhood).

Also, if you haven't already (and why wouldn't you have?), check out New York Times Magazine's feature about China's cyberposse, i.e. human flesh search engine.

No comments: