Saturday, February 21, 2009

Everybody's new love: Helen Feng of Pet Conspiracy

Just got back from watching a bar-full of people fall in love with Helen Feng, co-lead singer of the band Pet Conspiracy. I'll have a couple videos up in a bit [UPDATE: here], but for now pictures will have to suffice:



At first I thought Feng was either coked up out of her mind or certifiably bipolar/schizophrenic, what with her glazed-over eyes, pseudo-seductive poses (the way she played with the mic and mic stand, for instance), rolling around on the stage, the way she grabbed her hair and held it back, smiling her coy, dimpled smile, but it turns out she's just a really flamboyant showswoman. "Turbo," as my companion for the night would've put it. The energy was great from the get-go, though I'd maintain Feng may have overworked the fetish angle, where she basically forced herself to act like a sexed-up Asian doll. Her voice and stage presence is much too strong to have to resort to such tackiness.

Anyway, great show. Thoroughly enjoyed it. And if I knew there was such a dearth of good Pet Conspiracy videos on YouTube, I would've taken a longer and better one myself. Oh well. Next time.

The place was called Yu Gong Yi Shan, just for the record.

No comments: