Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ai Weiwei's photo exhibit at Three Shadows



On Friday a friend and I visited Three Shadows Photography Art Centre, on Evan Osnos's blog's recommendation, to see Ai Weiwei's exhibit, "Ai Weiwei: New York Photographs 1983-1993."

What took me by surprise was how personal the pictures felt. That is, I was made to feel like an intruder while viewing the photos, glimpsing in on lives I had no business knowing. Of course, I use "lives" as a synecdoche to represent a wider social network -- or should it have been the other way around, peering at "moments" that are synecdoches of lives? -- that never really changes, even if the world or, as it were, Lower East Side in Manhattan, does.

Here were some of my favorites:




Me in the reflection taking a picture of Ai Weiwei's reflection taking a picture of a picture of Marilyn Monroe

No comments: